Parents, Stop Overdoing-- Work Smart, Relax, Feel Better, Heal Relationships

I'm a recovering workaholic. Since childhood, I've been an obsessive-compulsive, Type A over-achiever. This hurts me, emotionally, mentally, spiritually and physically. So I'm practicing ways to work smarter, not harder. Ironically, I accomplish more this way. Most importantly, I feel better. Though I am not Buddhist, I'm finding a lot of wisdom in eastern thought. I think it complements my Catholic faith and pleases God.
Here's how.


Accept your worth. We overachievers often overdo to compensate. We lack confidence. We think others better than ourselves and so to succeed competitively we must give 500 percent. We can never relax lest we fail. Recovery means recognizing I'm okay, as is.



Think wabi-sabi. This Japanese aesthetic finds beauty in imperfection, impermanence, and the incomplete. We're accustomed to think these things unacceptable. It's why I can't relax if my house is only somewhat clean, not spotless. But perfection is impossible. So I'm never at rest. It's a vicious circle. Zen Buddhism says in accepting these life conditions, we find peace: calm in tempest, harmony amid discord, stability in transience.  Read more