Kids Should Play as Much as Read During Summer Vacation

There's a lot of talk about kids reading during summer vacation. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm all for reading, as opposed to endless TV watching. But speaking from 25 years teaching, I say what kids need to do in summer is play, maybe even more than read. I know, you may be
thinking: heretic! I advocate reading but only as part of a balanced summer of activities.

* Play is learning. Kids shouldn't hole up inside 24-7, even if they are reading. They need fresh air, play, water and sun. They should swim, bike, play kickball, camp, fish, hike, draw, build. They need to get grubby, skin their knee and make messes. Growing healthy bodies, expanding thinking processes and skill sets--that's authentic learning. Education pioneer Dr. Maria Montessori said "Play is the work of the child." (Child Development Institute) Kids Should Play as Much as Read During Summer Vacation